I had to take a week off because I was sick, then I had company for the weekend, but Monday I went out and bought some 8/4 hard maple and resawed it for drawer sides.
The Leigh jig does half-blind but only with a 1/2” bit – so the pins looked too fat. And I tried a PC with mini-template but that was another disappointment. So I ended up with a combination of router/hand joinery.
I wanted to reclaim some of the original cherry chest that got cooked, so I resawed the sides to make drawer bottoms and I’ll incorporate more into the middle drawer – although I haven’t decided how yet.
The pic was just before I applied the first coat of finish to the upper left drawer. That’s done now. This weeks list includes finishing the sliding back, fixing a few small blemishes on the joinery, and coming up with a middle drawer. I’m thinking of a simple letter inlay but nothing is concrete yet. I’m not even sure it will be a drawer – maybe a pull-out box or two? I’ll also continue to add finish coats – using the BLO/Spirits/Varnish recipe. So far it’s just been satin varnish but now I’ll be switching to the gloss to try and get a little sheen.
That will just leave me with the hardware (simple) and the door (a bit harder). If all goes smooth enough I should be able to get it done and in the mail by Christmas.
The color looks a bit funky in the pic – there is a lot of sawdust on everything and in the air. I had a “small” issue with the dust collector today. It took half a roll of duct tape but I think it’s better now and I’ll have to vacuum the entire shop up in the morning.
-- This Ad Space For Sale! Your Ad Here! Reach a targeted audience! Affordable Rates, easy financing! Contact an ad represenative today at JustJoe's Advertising Consortium.