well, a wonderful machine back in working condition, and off to a good home.
This six inch Beaver jointer was a real eye opener to how well some of this old iron was designed and built.
I did have some troubles along the way, the colour match paint was a no-go. I’m thankful I did not sand off all the old paint first, just a few parts. The paint did not apply very well, and took three days to cure. so I did not proceed with a repaint, just a few touch ups of bad or important spots.
So, with the rust on the tables and ways cleaned, the cutterhead trued, and bearings good to go, I t was time to rebuild and tune.
I have to say, this was a big surprise. I expected a day of the tables being on and off, shimming, getting everything co-planer and trued. nope, took twenty minutes. Another testament to how well this tool was built. .
Re-assembly is fairly straight forward, although I’m glad I took photos of the dis-assembly process. The manual I found on the internet has a great exploded diagram. but does not show how the fence is attached to the tilt mechanism, or the parts involved.
So, having the machine back together was great, but my shop has no need of a 160+ pound paperweight.
This Iron needed a home, lucky me, I have friends in need. A couple who were both schoolmates of mine, and have years of fine furniture training between them, are setting up a shop.
So, I called to see if they wanted me to build a stand of if they would take the machine as is. A little shocked that I would give them a machine, but very thankful.
So now I clean off my bench and get back to some woodworking for a bit. The scrollsaw is next on my list for a rebuild, but I have someone who wants to trade for it, so it may turn into a beaver tablesaw (always wanted to re-build one). This rebuilding old iron is as addictive as woodworking.
-- Junior -Quality is never an accident-it is the reward for the effort involved.