It all started with a drill press, I needed one, and was on the hunt. I quickly found that most new drill presses are lacking a feature I find very useful, a locking spindle. The machine I trained on had one, and I used it every time, So I wanted that feature.
After a few days, I found an old machine that had the feature, it was a Canadian made beaver drill. I didn’t have the cash right then, but I have some friends that were on the hunt as well, I phoned them, and they scooped it up. So, to keep my work progressing, I went to their shop and used the machine.
I quickly fell in love with the quietness, and solidity of this 70 year old steel. I mourned losing the opportunity at that particular drill, but vowed to find my own.
I hunted down another drill, also a beaver, but just a box of parts, scooped it for $50, and assembled it.
I think at this point the hook had been set, and the reel was spinning.
I have had more than my share of frustration with many of my machines. they work, but I ask a lot of them. It is hard to go to using hobby machines after training in furniture making in a professional shop. I have bought the best quality new machines I could afford, But even constant tuning does not overcome flimsy settings and poor quality. The cheap price of the quality used drill spurred my desire, and hastened my hunt.
The bandsaw was next, I still do not have the machine in hand, as it is being shipped to me, but being the most used tool in my shop, it made sense to have. I did much research on old machines, which models fit my size and quality needs. I wanted a walker-turner, but even used these demand a ransom I cannot pay. So , again a beaver fit the bill.
So that was it, I was hunting beavers. That is what settled Canada in the first place, being patriotic as I am.
Last night I scored a pair.
Now I’m starting to think I have a problem, I already have an Inca jointer that works great. And, I rarely if ever have need for a scrollsaw. So I guess I picked these up just to rebuild .
All total, these four beavers have cost $390, and with a bit of work, they will all be fine quality usable machines
I will post more as the restoration progresses.
-- Junior -Quality is never an accident-it is the reward for the effort involved.