I recently purchased an 8” jointer on Craigslist. I wanted more capacity than my 6” jointer. It only cost $200 but needs some work. Motor runs smooth but it has a lot of rust. The owner stored it outside for some time. At least he covered it with a tarp.
I started with the base. Removed the bottom, black section, cleaned it, primed and painted. Then made a mobile base. Used a Rockler mobile base and purchased some 1 1/2” square steel tubing. Drilled the needed holes, primed and painted again.
Next removed the cutter head. The knives are nicked. Will purchase new ones.
I started cleaning the top side portion. Used a small wire brush. This cleaned up fairly well. I don’t think I will need to repaint.
I will start cleaning the top this weekend but I wanted to do a small test. I used a very fancy rust removal chemical; toilet bowl cleaner. This is the result after 15 minutes.