LumberJocks

Getting back to the basics. Working with hand tools

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Julian updated 05-01-2009 01:43 AM 4 parts 10066 reads 25 comments total

Part 1: My fist half blind dovetails.

03-25-2009 02:34 AM by Julian | 5 comments »

I’d first like to thank T chisel for his very informative video on making half blind dovetails. I watched it this morning and went right out to the shop ready to try out his method. It works very well! I succesfully made two sides in about one hour. It’s no speed record, but the joint is pretty tight. I’m hooked now, and will NOT be spending the cash for a Leigh jig anytime soon, now that I know I can handle making my own variable spaced dovetails. I made a little 1:6 sho...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Card scraper holder

03-25-2009 02:42 AM by Julian | 9 comments »

Here’s a quick and dirty card scraper holder I built out of maple. I burnt the hell out of my thumbs a few weeks ago after a long session with the scraper, so I felt the need to make one of these. I used a small diameter knob I had lying around to adjust the curve of the scraper. This scraper holder works great. I just wish I would have built ti BEFORE I got the giant blisters on my thumbs!

Read this entry »


Part 3: The latest score. Restoring a 1917-1918 Disston backsaw

04-15-2009 01:36 AM by Julian | 4 comments »

I have been using a Japanese pullsaw for a while and have decided to come back to the western style saw. I picked up this saw online for $30 from an antique dealer. It’s a Disston backsaw from 1917-1918 and is in great shape (no pitting, and straight blade) and is all original except for one of the sawnuts. The teeth were bad and all over the place so I ground them off and am getting ready to try my hand at cutting new ones as soon as the files and saw set arive. Not being able to le...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Completed restoration on a 1917- 1918 Disston backsaw

05-01-2009 01:43 AM by Julian | 7 comments »

After waiting a few weeks for the 4” double extra slim files to arrive via snail mail, the wait is finally over. I went right out to the shop to start the tedious process of filing new teeth on the blade. This was my first attempt and I must say that I was surprised to get it right. I made a simple file holder and a jig to help cut even teeth. It worked just fine, and I now have a 15 ppi rip blade with a very minor set to it. It tracks perfect, and starts the cut easily thanks to the 8 ...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase