LumberJocks

shop upgrades

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Julian updated 1944 days ago 4 parts 10907 reads 16 comments total

Part 1: 6" bandsaw riser block kit

2060 days ago by Julian | 2 comments »

After months of waiting, I finally pulled the trigger and bought the grizzly model h3051 extension block kit for my rigid bs1400 bandsaw. The instructions were easy to follow, and there were no surprises with the conversion. Let me first say that the reviews were correct in stating that the supplied blade is garbage. I ordered a few different 105” olson allpro blades and the 5/8” 3tpi blade slices through 10”oak like butter. I was concerned that the 3/4 hp motor would be und...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Updated router and outfeed tables

2038 days ago by Julian | 5 comments »

After finally finishing my latest project, I had some time to do some well overdue upgrades to my shop. I bought a rousseau router plate, and a Freud FT1700VCEK 2 1/4 hp router for the new router table I built. It replaced my old router setup that was built into my outfeed table, and over the last five years had sagged a bit. I laminated 2 layers of baltic birch 1/2” plywood for the router table, then added formica on top and bottom. Let me be the first to say that being able to use the...

Read this entry »


Part 3: Motor upgrade for the bandsaw

2000 days ago by Julian | 4 comments »

I just picked up a 1 1/2 hp 1740 rpm motor from a friend today for $30. It’s a VERY clean old Doerr brand motor made in Cedarburg, Wisconsin. After rewiring it to run in reverse, I installed it into my rigid 14” bandsaw that has a 6” riserblock, and many carter upgrades. Let me say that the saw is a totally different beast now! With the underpowered stock 3/4 HP motor, a very slow feed rate was needed to resaw tall stock. Now it breezes through 10” rock maple withou...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Making the delta 6" jointer dust collection ACTUALLY work.

1944 days ago by Julian | 5 comments »

I have dealt with the sub par dust collection opening of this jointer for over ten years now. Today I went out to the shop and said no longer will I deal with a clogged dust chute, and wood chips all over the shop. All I did to correct the problem was to box out the chute and make it 4” deep all the way to the bottom, then put the chut facing 90 degrees to the chute, which would solve the problem of chips collecting and clogging up the chute. Well, I just ran a ton of boards through the...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase