Well, the time has finally come to load the kiln. Now I am wishing that I would have made the kiln 5’ wide. When I initially came up with the dimensions, I had only measured a few of the elm boards I had recently milled. Well, it turnd out that most of the boards are 19” wide, not 16” wide, so I couldn’t get two rows in the kiln. I got all but 4 boards to fit, but I am not sure how it will dry since the top board are only 2 inches from the roof. I painted some leftover plywood flat black for the collector, but the front of the boards is exposed to direct sunlight. I am guessing that there will need to be some sort of cover to block this from happening, because I surely don’t want case hardened lumber. I’ll get some pics of it tonight if I have enough time.
-- Julian, Park Forest, IL