So just after Christmas I decided to have a go at a carcass type project. I got carried away and bought a Makita track saw to help me break down sheet goods. So I went to my local diy shop (Wickes) and bought some of their ‘hardwood ply’, in reality its pretty rubbish stuff, but the timber yards were shut between Christmas and New Year, not to mention the fact that I wanted to play with my new toy. All in all this was a really quick project, I got all the joinery done in a few days, then started back at work after the Christmas break and painted it and finished it in a few more evenings.
Anyway, I again drew up something in Sketchup, although as usual the actual design changed a bit as I went.
Here’s what I initially designed:
I am in the process of building a second bookcase, which I’ve filmed and hope to put on YouTube soon, so I don’t have a lot of images of this one, but the next few images show some of the progression. First up the bookcase with all the joinery done awaiting finish:
Stain and paint applied, no back fitted yet:
The finished bookcase, we decided to distress the paint a bit, an effect I like, but I really should have stained the face frame before painting and then it would have shown up better and matched the visible stained parts better:
So this post pretty much has us caught up to ‘real-time’ so these blog posts will come a bit slower now! Thanks for reading.