As previously mentioned I found 2015 pretty tough, that coupled with a slow project meant that I’d hardly been in the workshop in since oct. Meanwhile my wife Jenny has been getting into green woodworking and bushcraft type skills.
This started with some training to become a forest schools teacher (an initiative in the UK to gets kids outside and learning so basic bushcraft skills, like shelter building and fire making, along with craft work). Anyway, she did a week long course on green woodworking skills and was bitten by the bug.
She had asked me after the course, could we make a shave horse, I’d said yes, but never gave it any further thought. Anyway whilst we were both off work over Christmas Jenny suggested that we make a shave horse. So we started watching some videos on YouTube, and were surprised at the relatively low number, so decided to make our own (video).
So we started off by designing a shave horse on Sketchup, which like all could designs was a mash up of other designs we’d found:
I used a ‘stretched’ chassis from the saw horses and added the pivoting components that make it a shave horse.
For me to really enjoy what I’m doing I like to work hard and push myself. The project itself wasn’t particularly difficult, but instead I put a lot more effort into the filming and videography. No more lazy timelapse videos with a GoPro! We didn’t get it perfect, but we did have a lot of fun making the videos and I’m really pleased with the outcome.
As an added bonus this project really got me fired up for woodworking and filming for YouTube, so made for a great start to 2016.