LumberJocks

Susan G. Komen 3-Day Walk for the Cure: Items to Build for Fundraiser #7: Progress Update on the Fundraising Items

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Jonathan posted 07-21-2010 05:30 PM 956 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 6: Soap Dish Update Part 7 of Susan G. Komen 3-Day Walk for the Cure: Items to Build for Fundraiser series no next part

I haven’t posted anything in a while regarding the progress on the projects I’m making for my wife’s fundraiser coming up next week, so I thought I might do that.

The curly maple, walnut, and cherry cutting board/serving board is almost finished. I lost track of how many coats of mineral oil it has now seen. I’ve stepped my coats back to once a day. Another day or two, then it’ll get a final rubdown of George’s Club House Wax for the finishing touch.

A couple of minutes ago, I wiped a coat of Waterlox onto the serving tray that’s composed of curly maple, walnut, and pink lyptus. On Monday, I drilled the holes for the handles, then drilled the countersinks as well as I want to hide the screws. I had put one coat of Waterlox on Monday night, then realized there were water spots! So I had to let it dry, then resanded it this morning, vacuumed it off, then wiped it clean with mineral spirits before proceeding with the new coat of Waterlox. Guess I should explain what happened here.

I had it all sanded Monday, so took it outside and cleaned it off really well with mineral spirits in preparation for its first coat of Waterlox. I really soaked it with mineral spirits, so I had it sitting outside to dry faster. I got busy with some yard work and it started sprinkling. Not raining, just a couple minutes worth of droplets. Didn’t remember until about a minute into the rain that it was sitting out there. Then a few bads words flew out of my mouth as I went racing across the yard to pick up the tray. It had maybe 20-30 droplets of rain on it. I quickly took it inside and wiped it off with a paper towel. Then I let it dry out. I sanded it lightly (too lightly, it turns out) with 220-grit paper, then vacuumed it off and wiped again with mineral spirits. Seemed OK until I hit it with the Waterlox. Then the white spots magically appeared, most noticeably in the walnut. I let it cure and looked at it yesterday a couple of times. I just couldn’t bring myself to leave it looking like that. It wasn’t one of those “happy accidents” so I decided to start over.

I took it out to the garage and took the top of the tray down to fresh wood with the ROS, then hand sanded with 150 and 220. Cleaned it again really well, then took it down to the basement and wiped a new coat of Waterlox on. No spots!

And now you’re up-to-speed on the serving tray. Thanks to those of you that made suggestions on my dowel/plug question. I think I’m going to look for little rubber plugs that will fit the hole. As it was pointed out in my forum question, that’ll allow the user to simply pull the plug, then tighten the screw if the handle ever becomes a touch loose, then simply reinsert the rubber plug and it’ll be as good as new. If I can’t find rubber plugs, I’m just going to cover the holes with self-adhesive cork tabs. I might actually not glue them on as I had originally intended as it’ll be much easier and cleaner to scrape one off if the handle needs to be tightened.

The soap dishes are the next things to tackle. I need to glue on the feet and they’ll be ready to finish. I’m going to spray them with numerous coats of spar varnish since they’ll see a lot of water exposure, assuming they actually get called into duty, rather than just sitting on a counter somewhere. At this point, there should be 4-soap dishes.

I just don’t think the coasters are going to happen. If it was just making coasters, it’d be easy, but I don’t know that I’ve got the time or energy right now to make the little boxes to hold them. I still have the glue-up that I had intended to use to make them. It’s 2-strips walnut sandwiching a piece of pink lyptus running down the center. This will probably become a simple candleholder. I just need to think of some sort of creative base or feet for it.

I should have the cutting board posted as a completed project in the next couple of days.

-- Jonathan, Denver, CO "Constructive criticism is welcome and valued as it gives me new perspectives and helps me to advance as a woodworker."



2 comments so far

View stefang's profile

stefang

15512 posts in 2797 days


#1 posted 07-21-2010 09:06 PM

Looking forward to seeing them Jonathan.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View Jonathan's profile

Jonathan

2608 posts in 2513 days


#2 posted 07-21-2010 09:44 PM

And I’m looking forward to having them completed!

-- Jonathan, Denver, CO "Constructive criticism is welcome and valued as it gives me new perspectives and helps me to advance as a woodworker."

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com