OK, I figured out how I’m going to be making the 3-trim-based soap dishes.
I decided to cut off half the grooves. I kept the side that had 4-evenly spaced half-round grooves to it.
I very carefully stood the trim pieces on end and ripped half of it off at a time on the tablesaw. I basically had the blade raised about 2” above the table, cutting half the grooves off at a time, running each board through twice (if that makes sense). This reduced the thickness of each trim piece down to 1/2”. It looks much cleaner and lighter now. Now I have a nice flat surface to glue to the pink lyptus ends.
I am going to take some of the scrap pink lyptus I have and cut 2-end pieces for each dish, with each piece being about 1” tall so as to raise the dish up off the counter. I’ll rabbet the top to accept the trim piece, producing a nice solid joint. I think I’ll produce this rabbet by actually using my dado blade to cut a dado in they lyptus, then rip the dado in half, giving me 2-rabbeted end pieces. That should be easiest. I’ll need to cut the dado 1-1/8” wide to account for the blade kerf on the rip cut, and may even go a fraction of an inch wider to give myself a little wiggle room. I can always trim it off after the glue-up.
-- Jonathan, Denver, CO "Constructive criticism is welcome and valued as it gives me new perspectives and helps me to advance as a woodworker."