LumberJocks

Apartment Router Table / Table Saw #2: Insert, Rails, and Fence

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by JonDH posted 02-13-2014 10:03 PM 920 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 1: Table Modification and Insert Part 2 of Apartment Router Table / Table Saw series no next part

We left off last time and I had a hole in my table with a blank insert, getting me back to a functional dining room table.

Step 1: Install some T track. I originally thought I would just make a long fence and clamp it to the edge of the table. It would be a pain in the neck, but I didn’t think it would get heavy use. Instead I saw a lot of videos and commercial fixtures that use T track, and it looked amazing. I would be able to use hold-down clamps, using a fence would be easier. Basically, this was going to improve all parts of my life. Install was really easy even without a real hack saw. Just a bit of filing make the end look good.

The insert is pretty straightforward. I cut out a piece of wood, marked the center, used my router base to mark the holes, and that was it. Also, I learned my lesson this time and used sandpaper to round the corners instead of a chisel. There wasn’t a lot to show from the process, but the table with the hole makes for a great clamping surface!

The last piece is the fence. I started with a piece of plywood about 30” long and 9.25” wide. I drilled a 4.5” hole 0.75” off center so I’d have the opening for the bit already in place. Then I ripped the board through the center of the hole. I also routed a 0.5” slot in the wider board. In retrospect, there were a few more holes I should have put in. I glued the boards together and glued in some gussets. I know things seem to be going better than in part one; but don’t worry, this is where things went wrong…

When I started gluing the fence together, I found out how warped my wood was. My fix was the make a flat spot on a table saw, then make a planer with my router.

You can get an idea of how warped the wood was in this picture.

Here is the planer jig I made. It worked reasonably well. I still went back with my hand plane and a sanding block to clean up the surface, but it’s pretty straight now. One problem I’m having is that I don’t really trust my long straightedge. It’s the one shown in the T track picture. I looked up steel straight edges and they’re really expensive… I’m not sure what to do about that yet.

Here are a few more pictures of the fence.



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase