LumberJocks

Cross Cut Sled

  • Advertise with us
Blog series by Jon3 updated 12-09-2007 02:40 AM 4 parts 13969 reads 23 comments total

Part 1: New, and far more accurate crosscut sled

12-09-2007 02:18 AM by Jon3 | 5 comments »

NOTE All of my photos have been migrated to a new provider, and the links in my posts are likely out of date. You can find the photos here. My old crosscut sled sucked. I made it before I acquired a lot of knowledge, but I’ve been dragging along with it for a while. I did some test cuts the other day, and realized just how out of shape it was, so I decided it was time for a new one. So here comes the Cross Cut Sled Journey! I decided I wanted a fence with a T groove on it, s...

Read this entry »


Part 2: Fences!

12-09-2007 02:22 AM by Jon3 | 4 comments »

Although I didn’t snapshot it, I glued up the (2) 4” sections of ply, then ripped them clean. Here they are on top of my nice new sled. I line them up fairly well, then screw them in to the sled with (4) 2.5” #10s. I want that sucker to hold! Now that we’ve got a strong front fence on there, I’ll be able to cut through the ply body without worrying about the pieces slipping out of alignment. (One of many big mistakes with my last sled!) Oh...

Read this entry »


Part 3: The 5 Cut Square Dance

12-09-2007 02:31 AM by Jon3 | 10 comments »

Now here is something else I didn’t do last time. Properly squaring up the sled. I start by lining up my nice new fence, and dropping ONE screw only on the far side. Then I slice a kerf just high enough to pop through the ply, and line up the fence roughly with the square. (This part is NOT how it gets squared… read on!) Looks square, doesn’t it? HAH! I made a small T adjustment block, and grab about 1/16 inch worth of sliced up index card and pa...

Read this entry »


Part 4: Dressin' it all up.

12-09-2007 02:40 AM by Jon3 | 4 comments »

I’m no MMarzluf, but I know I can pretty this up a bit… I drop a scrap cherry block on the back, to act as a rear blade guard. I also like the idea of a nice plastic guard to protect me from spit up dust and chips. I have some spare lexan from my Norm Router Table project, so I grab that and it looks to be plenty. Trimmed the lexan to size. My cute little arch does make this a tiny bit problematic… I’ll just trace this and mortise it out...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase