I’ve had a kind of crappy blue plastic borg sanding block for some time, and I’ve been lazy and switched out the paper. I don’t use it too often, but its finally given up the ghost and won’t really stay closed any more. I decided to make myself some proper ones with a nice cork backing.
Here’s the original borg crappy one..
The one thing I do like about it is that it is sized such that you can quarter a regular sized sheet, and they fit the sanding block right.
I had a bunch of sheets for cork, because I made myself a small corkboard/takboard for veneer inlay layout purposes. I had some spare blocks of ash, left over from the bench, but I actually ended up making a sizing mistake and switched to maple.
I drilled a 1/4” hole, counterbored a larger hole, lined it with 5 minute epoxy. and a 1/4-20 nut into it.
2 small walls on either end, to help retain the sandpaper, were glued on. My leg vice made an excellent clamp. Note that the counterbored nut faces down!
Then I cut some rough pieces of 1/4” cork backing. (I found it at Staples.)
Plenty of glue, there’s a lot of surface area to grab on cork, and some bench holdfasts make good clamps.
Some over-sized ash blocks, fitted snugly in between the ends, will give me room to sculp something comfortable to hold.
Some bandsaw work, followed up with the oss/belt sander, and voila!