LumberJocks

Roubo #5: Testing my Glueup capabilities, and a fun vise handle discovery.

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Jon3 posted 03-17-2009 02:19 AM 895 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 4: 3 bags of chips later... Part 5 of Roubo series Part 6: Getting near the end of the glue-up phase of the top. »

I began breaking down my boards into bunches based on their rough width, thickness, and general flatness. I tried not to put 2 boards with any kind of imperfection in their flatness together, preferring to separate them by at least 2 straight boards. There was some very very mild curvature after the planing work, but nothing that was not easily pinched out using just the strength in my hands.

Since I have no assembly table, I prepared my old bench with some rollers for extension (its only about 58” long!) and gave it a nice non-stick surface via the cheapest economy size wax paper in the supermarket.

I decided to test out my clamping capabilities on the 7 foot stretchers (each will be cut down for 1 long stretcher 61” , and one short 19” stretcher.)

Looks good so far, but I did realize I’d probably like at least 2 more of those jet parallel clamps before I do the 8 footers. Since I didn’t go buy a bunch of lumber, I think I can probably justify 2 or 4 of them.

I think I’m probably going to glue up most of the sections 1 day at a time. This will both remind me to go slow, and also allow me to use every short clamp in sight. I do have 2 footers, but I’ve discovered that trying to use clamps that are too long can sometimes backfire.

That first glueup went fast, and I had some extra ‘loud time’ before I hit the quiet hour (8PM). Quiet hour is when I commit to stop making noise, as I live in a converted to condos 2 family house, and I live on the 2nd floor, but my shop is in the basement, right under my neighbor.

I decided there was maybe too much power tooling going on so far, so I decided to make my vise handle by hand. And no, I’m leaving the lathe out of it.

Since my bench is currently acting as my assembly table, I laid the board that will eventually get doubled up and turned into my bench vise flat, and clamped a stop block on it. Then I grabbed a roughly 4/4 square oversized offcut, rough cut 18 inches off with a handsaw, and went neander.

One or two passes with the jack both jointed it flat enough, and gave me a semi-smooth side to work with. I switched over to a low angle block, tight mouth, and smoothed out anything that didn’t feel good.

Then I just started chamfering all over. My theory on this is, I want something I can grab, that feels comfortable, but still has enough imperfections I can get a good grip. I have a turned handle on my rockler face vise on my old bench, and I don’t really get anything out of it. Sometimes its too smooth to grip when I’ve been sweating it out on the hand tools.

I just went at it until it felt comfortable, and then I stopped. Since I didn’t feel like donning the sanding gear, I just rubbed it on the rough board’s side until it got all burnished up.

Once I get the vise installed, I’ll probably drill a small hole, put a little dowel through, and sand the dowel ends smooth. I may not even glue them in!

And since you love the photos, a gratituitous handplane money shot!

I may not bother to post daily progress on the big-chunk-glue-ups. So it may be a few days before you see anything else!



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase