Jewelry Box #4: Hardware, the next hurdle.

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Jon3 posted 02-23-2009 12:03 AM 1087 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 3: Gappy like your gran pappy's teeth after 80 years of sweets. Part 4 of Jewelry Box series Part 5: The mistake train is leaving the station. All aboard! »

Looking good so far. Now its time to mangle the pretty box up with hardware.

I used a jig and routed out the quadrant hinge form.

Which fit nicely.

Only to provide me a box with a 3/16 offset the first time around. I assumed I messed up the jig, so I planed the top and bottom flat again, and re-read the manual before attacking some scrap wood. 3/16th again.

A few emails back to the manufacturer, and I got a new one. (Beall, best service in the biz!)

Now, the next round isn’t perfect, but its within a whisper of perfect.

Then I went and proceeded to mangler the heck out of the mortise for the lock, blowing a HUGE hole in the front of the box. I didn’t take any more photographs at this point, because I was so supremely angry at myself I ran out of the shop and didn’t go back until I cooled down (~3 beers, followed by 2 weeks out of the shop did it.)

I decided mistakes happen, and anything is fixable. I like to inlay, so I pulled out my little whiteside kit, and decided to make an inlay to cover up my goof. ooh wait. I meant design element. I PLANNED THIS! YES, THATS THE TICKET!

And its a jewelry box for my wife, so I’ll use a heart shape, which bears absolutely no relation to the shape of the aforementioned blowout, which as I remind you, never happened.

I start with cheap 1/8th hardboard as I play with template sizes. I have no symmetry skills, so I tape 2 pieces tightly together, and pass em over the jointer. Follow up with some light spindle sanding.

Then unfold and glue together. Ta-da!

First, the top of the blowout is real thin (the bottom blew entirely through to the front of the box, so before I inlay, I mix up a dixie full of 5 minute epoxy and reinforce the heck out of the blowout. I tape over the big hole in the front, and slather it on.

I also managed to completely mis-align the retaining bar of the lock in the top half. whittle some sticks, slather glue, and …

And since I re-mortised the bottom after the bad offset, I also need to fix holes there too….

I always transfer my cheap hardboard inlay patterns to plexi once I get a size and shape I like completed. Just takes a pattern bit on the router table. Then I tried it out the plexi pattern on some scrap maple a few times.

Fitted glued and smoothed. You can’t even tell there was a blowout. Which, if you recall, there wasn’t. So stop saying there was!

After a lot of double checking, I drilled a near perfect hole for the key. Heck, even I get lucky sometimes.

Phew, enough for now!

1 comment so far

View Scott Bryan's profile

Scott Bryan

27250 posts in 3815 days

#1 posted 02-23-2009 01:30 AM

Nice recovery. I have always said that there are no mistakes in woodworking- only opportunities to add more details.

-- Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful- Joshua Marine

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics