NOTE All of my photos have been migrated to a new provider, and the links in my posts are likely out of date. You can find the photos here.
My old crosscut sled sucked. I made it before I acquired a lot of knowledge, but I’ve been dragging along with it for a while. I did some test cuts the other day, and realized just how out of shape it was, so I decided it was time for a new one.
So here comes the Cross Cut Sled Journey!
I decided I wanted a fence with a T groove on it, so I could fit in doodads and stop blocks and whatnot.
I have some fairly thick Ash leftovers, so I joint and plane it, then I taper the top to give it a little bit of style, and to get rid of a nasty chunk of wood. ;)
Then I drop a round over into the router table, and give the hand-side a more user friendly profile.
Then I route myself a little track in the other side for aforementioned doodads.
I chuck up my new Freud Ultimate Plywood blade, and grab a nice chunk of clean 13 layer BB Ply.
I slice off to ~4” chunks that I will glue and true up for the opposing fence.
I happen to have a stack of hard maple slides from the last time I made one of these, so I was up the table, and set some up in the grooves, riding on top of spacers (to lift them above table height to insure a good fit with the sled.
I drop the sled body so that the middle of the sled lines up with the saw blade, slide over my rip fence, and use a clamp with very light pressure to get the sled somewhat aligned.
Then I drop $1000 worth of weight on top of the sled, and let it dry overnight.