NOTE All of my photos have been migrated to a new provider, and the links in my posts are likely out of date. You can find the photos here.
I actually began this project around 6-9 months ago, when I got into woodworking, and I did some of the original work then. It is surprising how far I’ve come in what I know to do, and not do, since then.
I had a leftover benchtop that I picked up basically free from family friends.
It was not pretty! It had a fairly thick finish on the top though, so with some elbow grease and some scraping, I managed to clean up the top somewhat.
There is still a 1/8th inch cup to it that I’ll have to solve before I can count on the surface as being flat, but fixing that is for a later date. I needed something usable quickly.
It was joined by dowels, originally:
I bought some sized dowel cheap, just to fill empty holes, and glued then in and sawed (fairly) flush. I knew I’d end up trimming the sides back later anyway.