I decided to make my own try square, in the spirit of the hand tool extravaganza I’ve been into lately. I saw an article by Adam Cherubini on making them, I think in popular woodworking. (If somebody has a link to the issue, let me know!) I don’t have the article handy, but the basis of it was pretty simple.
I grabbed some spare Sipo and some spare Maple that already happened to be an appropriate width, a hair over 1/4” and 3/4” respectively.
Crosscut and hit them with a smoothing plane.
A nice full width mortise courtesy of a tenoning jig. (I’m sure Adam would not approve!) Then get it as close to square as my starret will show me, and some glue and clamps.
After resting overnight, I declamped, and smoothed it, and rechecked for square.
Came out as close as I could get it judging by visible light between it and the reference square.
To ensure no movement, and because it just looks cool, I decided to toss in some pegs out of scrap Padouk. I made a dowel plate (see previous blog post) and whipped out a dowel.
I drilled out some holes.
Then finally pegged and smoothed.
Finished with a thin coat of BLO just to keep the glue off.