Not much left to do. I picked up some proper braided 65lb test fishing line. Plenty strong enough for our purposes. As the online documentation mentions, I used 4 loops, and made it snug enough that I could, with effort, still remove the blade when necessary.
Now that it actually was tensioned like a working saw, I had no choice but to give it a try!
You may notice that offcut from my circle cutting inlay tool test. I decided to follow the circular groove, and even with the low TPI blade, it still followed it just fine.
I decided to turn the handles, as I hadn’t fired up my Rikon in a little while. I roughed a nice long blank.
Drilled it out.
And then shaped and installed them!
I haven’t glued them on yet, as I’m waiting for a small variety assortment of set screws to arrive. I’m not sure if I’m going to like the handles I made long term. The recommendations have them quite thin, and I have meaty hands. Handle shaping can be a very personal decision, so I’ll temporarily attach them with set screws, and either replace them, or permanently glue them in, after some test work.