Felt like it was time for a bigger, better workbench.
While putting together a lumber take-off at my usual lumberyard, I asked my rep if they had any scrap pieces of lvl. Well he did…... and then some.
How about 2-8’x16” lvl’s and an 18’-9”x 16” Glue lam. (yellow pine).
I went home, got my chainsaw and headed back. Now I needed a plan.
I decided on a 6’x3’ bench with a tail vise on one end and a 2’ dbl screw front vise (made with pipe clamps cause I’m not about to spend $250 on a vise). I also wanted some storage underneath.
At this point all I needed to purchase were some bench bolts and I was golden.
First thing I did was rip down the lvl’s to 3 1/2”, joint and plane.
Double some up for the legs, drill out mortises and re-square.
I connected my legs (front-to-back) with top and bottom rails. I ran a dado on each piece first so I could insert a piece of 1/2” plywood for added strength.
Then milled up some stretchers.
You can see a glued up leg set behind the stretchers.
Now to get started on the top.
I took each 6’+ section over to a friends and ran them through an 18” woodmaster.
Then (by myself) ran each edge through a 6” jointer (with a make-shift out-feed table/ drill press).
As you can see there was a bit of a cup in the glue lam. I made sure one side was perfect, then took as little as possible off the other side.
Everything is milled. Stay tuned for assembly.