The house is now termite free (I hope), after the exterminating company put up a giant tent over it and flooded it with poison gas. Since I had to vacate the house during the 3 days or so this took, it seemed like a good time to use my camper, which had gone unused since January. A two month bicycle trip and various other activities had taken precedence. Of course, it couldn’t be simple. For one thing, my truck needed new tires before I felt comfortable loading the camper on it. Anyway, I got everything ready, loaded up and went to a nearby campground for two nights.
I have finally returned to the workstation project. Today’s task was to route a rabbet in each top blank to allow clearance for the aluminum angle on which it will sit. This is shown in the plans without any suggestion of how to create the rabbet. I chose to use a router with a straight bit and two straightedges clamped to the workpiece. Rabbets are required where the new tops butt against the cast iron saw top. I made 4 passes on each top, cutting 1/16” each time to produce a 1/4” deep rabbet 1.25” tall. This picture shows the initial setup.
And this one shows part of the completed rabbet.
Note that the rabbet does not go all the way to the end of the workpiece. This end will be at the front of the saw, behind the rip fence. The aluminum angle will be bolted to the saw and will not extend all the way to the front edge of the saw. The short sides, which will be against the back edge of the saw, are rabbeted all the way through as the aluminum angle will be one piece along that edge and these two top pieces will face each other. The gap between them will be filled with a removable block which will allow for blade tilting.
The next step is to cover these pieces with laminate but before I do that I’m off to the local metal store for aluminum angle.