LumberJocks

Tablesaw Workstation #3: Squaring Up the Tops

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by JohninSD posted 10-08-2009 11:05 PM 1653 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: A little more progress Part 3 of Tablesaw Workstation series Part 4: Straightedge guide not straight???? »

I glued up oversize blanks for the two halves of the new top. I did the right hand one with fir plywood as I have made tops for router tables this way in the past and I know it works. For the left hand half I used MDF – seemed it should work just as well and as the material tends to be flatter than plywood I thought it was worth a try. Each blank is a double thickness of 3/4” material – which is actually 23/32” for the plywood so the right hand side of the table will be 1/16” thinner than the left side. I can adjust the supports so the top surfaces will match up when I install them.

After the glue had dried for a day I went out to the garage to begin trimming the blanks to size, which is an inch and a half less than the plans call for as I will glue 3/4” oak edge banding all around. I had originally thought I might use my router with a straight edge guide to trim the blanks but then I thought about the mess of dust that would create and decided to use a hand held circular saw, which still makes a lot of dust but not as bas as the router. I think it should also be faster. The first thing I had to do was to make a straight edge guide for the saw. To make that I needed a straight edge on a piece of 1/2” plywood. So I dragged out my benchtop jointer. A few passes with the cutting depth set to 1/64” and I had my straight edge. Then I ripped the piece of plywood to size in the table saw, using the jointed edge against the fence. Holding the edges up against the best straight edge I have (the T-square of my Exac-T-Guide) I see no gaps and no rocking so this is straight enough for my purposes.

I cut a piece of hardboard the length of the plywood piece and 8” wider. Then I glued the plywood to the hardboard and ran 6 or 8 brass woodscrews in from the hardboard side to hold it all together. The next step was to trim the edge guide to final size with the Skilsaw. This almost became a problem because when I had measured the distance from the edge of the baseplate to the edge of the blade (twice no less) I had measured to the wrong side of the blade so instead of having about 1/4” to trim off I had about 1/16”. Fortunately it was enough. I made one cut on the plywood top blank with the new edge guide and checked it for square in the vertical direction. I got lucky on this one as I hadn’t checked the saw or used it for some time but it cut square on the first try. Here’s a picture of the new edge guide and the freshly cut edge of the blank. That’s it for today – it’s kayak night so I’m off to the beach.

Squaring up the top

-- John



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase