LumberJocks

Underway again...finally #17: Unbelievable - actually finished something...2 somethings even!

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by JohnTM posted 12-06-2017 01:45 AM 1046 reads 0 times favorited 0 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 16: 95%, okay, 85% finished with lumber rack Part 17 of Underway again...finally series no next part

Well, the title kinda gives my day away. But I finished the lumber rack…. the 2nd something is further down the entry.

Here’s what I’m hoping to store on the rack – currently stored on the white table and 2 sawhorses behind my stack-of-4-pallets-laying-on-the-ground-worktable situated behind my Prius.

Trying not to have things get wet seems to be a big motivator. I started bright and early (though I was not birght-eyed or bushy-tailed energy wise) – 8am, which is as early as the local gendarmes allow noise-making. Yesterday’s slowness repeated itself though I thought I was fighting a 1PM rain-deadline. Laid all 4 verticals on the ground to try to connect them and ran into a “wtf am I doing?” moment.

Um…I thought it was going to be straight-forward – lay them down. Connect stringers/spacers, stand it up, done. If only it was that easy.

I screwed up squaring up the first 2 verticals and making them parallel in 2 planes. Dunno how or why it was so difficult, but that’s me. Took me the better part of 30 minutes to get them right. Then it dawned on me to use clamps – told you I was slow. Getting the 3rd vertical connected correctly only took me 25 minutes, even with the clamps. Told you I was slow. The last vertical only took me 10 minutes – big improvement time-wise but still waaaay too slow.

Then it dawned on me I still had to attach the diagonal support on the back of the verticals – but the rack was laying on its back on the ground. I’m working alone and the danged thing is heavy and awkward, being somewhat wobbly left-ti-right. I eventually got it upright.

Then I attached the diagonal brace and moved it to its final location. Test loaded it…it didn’t fall apart…...........................yet.

Beat the rain——————well, to be honest….it didn’t rain before 5:30PM, so I lucked out in that department.

About 3PM, I figured 1 success leads to another, right? So, why not try to get the plywood, MDF and OSB I have lying around in its own cart? Should be much easier than the lumber rack I just completed, right?

I’ll spare you the long story and suffice it to say that I managed to cobble something together that only took me 2 hours of serious working. Was only 85% finished when the rain finally came. Had to run around throwing blue tarps over stuff I wasn’t going to be able to stick under the carport/on the cart or rack – like Craigslist cabinets.

End of day after building and cleaning up pic:

It’s only “partially” finished though I’ve got wood in it now – it’s 3 inches too wide for the space I want it to fit in. But it does have casters and it holds about 85% of the engineered wood I wanted it to.

The tablesaw and 2 cabinets are under the blue tarp in the center of the pic… Another cabinet is on its side in the far right of the pic… it’s a Craigslist freebie I haven’t decided what to do with yet.

So, it was a good day.



0 comments so far

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com