LumberJocks

Underway again...finally #8: Actually made cuts today

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by JohnTM posted 11-08-2017 01:13 AM 1070 reads 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 7: Analysis paralysis, but progress...kinda Part 8 of Underway again...finally series Part 9: Progress... seriously. »

Yes, you read the title correctly. I actually made cuts today.

After examining the smallest/shortest of 4 palletized plywood pieces, I decided to experiment with it – why gamble with the biggest, right? We’ll jump to the end of day pic first to provide context for the rest of the entry.

Okay, so that’s where I wound up…the mockup is upside down though. The red arrows show fork lift tine cutouts in 2×4’s that I decided to “salvage” by filling them in. More work than others might do, but otherwise, these large 2×4’s would probably go to waste and they should make good legs. You can see that I already cut the fill-in pieces which now need to be glued and screwed in.

Okay, back to the day’s progress. I spent more time looking at the wood this morning than actually cutting. My examination of the plywood pieces revealed even more nails than previously found. So, I concluded that I’d have to use the piece as is if I was going to use it at all. The plywood was framed with/1×6’s along the perimeter with another piece crossways of the midpoint.The plywood was 1/2” thick. So, I concluded that I should be able to just make legs where the top would sit on 33.5” legs and those pieces with the fork lift cutouts were prime candidates for that, despite the cutouts (initially considered for pre-cut shelf supports, but they were at the wrong height).

I also decided to “frame” the outside perimeter of the plywood, saving me from having to rabbet anything. Which lead to the 2nd picture, a miscut.

Total dumbness move on my part. I’d actually measured it correctly but cut on the wrong side of the line which led to trying to fix it (yeah, cut it again when it’s already too short, right? You can follow that logic IF you place the piece in the wrong spot when checking for fit….). Anyway, that’s why I picked up more wood than I figured I’d need, especially with pallet wood being free.

Along the way, I found that the stacked palletized plywood pieces made a reasonable facsimile of a mitre saw table, being just about the right height and more than wide enough to do the job.

So, the status at the end of the day:
The “Design” is complete, in my head at least.
Cutting the pieces is 75% complete.
—I still need to make 2 cross braces that will double for shelf supports.
—I have to cut pieces for the lower shelf – will be using 1/2”x4”(or 6”)x40” pallet pieces cut down to the depth of the table (Reach across distance, width being left-right as you look at it).
—As noted above already, I need to glue and screw the fork lift cutout fill-in pieces.
The work table is temporarily clamped up.

Lessons learned today:
1. Measuring twice before cutting does you no good if you cut on the wrong side of the line.
2. Swapping back and forth between mitre and table saw is a pain when the mitre saw doesn’t have a temporary table and you have to keep clearing things off the cutting surface to use it.
3. Cutting a 10’ long piece of wood can be a pain when working by yourself. Balancing it on a small contractor’s table saw is impractical – hence, using the mitre saw AND the table saw was the order of the day. (And yes, I did get a 2”x4x”10’ piece from a throwaway pallet.)

Added: Sketchup screen shot “as-built”



1 comment so far

View JohnTM's profile

JohnTM

74 posts in 94 days


#1 posted 11-11-2017 08:56 PM

No work the lastcouple of days. Been sick with earache – balance/vision issues.
Hope to continue tomorrow.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com