I did not complete the bookcases yesterday as I had hoped. I neglected to make a piece of cove that makes up the third part of the crown. These built ins are going in a room that have ceiling beams and I had to cut and chop and take down, and basically just make it work. I had several plans on how I was going to make it work but in the end, I just did it.
I came home last night and milled out a few pieces of cove and now I am putting the last couple of coats of clear on it this morning. While I don’t have finished pics yet, I thought I would give you guys and gals a teaser. With a little luck I will be able to post a completed project either tonight or in the morning.
Have a great day everyone.
This is all the cabs. At this point I don’t believe the uppers have been set.
This is the joint of the upper corner cabinet falling on the countertop. It can be a real challenge to get the miters on the countertop just right.
This is where I cut out the beam to allow my cabinet to go behind it. The goal is to make it look as if it has always been there.
And this last one shows the first member of the crown going around.
Thanks for taking a look. It’s 6 AM, I’ve had a cup of coffee and now it is time to get that cove finished.
Until next time….......
One last note. It was important to the home owner that the colors match. The old wood work in the house is stained pine that has been aging for about 30 years. My cabinets are made from alder and stained with minwax red chestnut. You can just make out a difference in the grains of the two different woods. But only if you know what you are looking at. I went with alder because of it’s tendency to stain a bit blotchy without using wood conditioner first. Since pine is also blotchy when stained, it was the perfect wood to blend with the rest of the room.
-- JoeyG ~~~ http://www.facebook.com/JHGWoodWorks