My epoxy samples have had time to fully cure. I am not really surprised by the findings. Here they are:
First I took a chisel just to test the epoxy. The pencil and glitter where very hard and chipped away. The alcohol was rubbery when I put chisel to it.
Next you will see them after I sanded with 80 grit on my ROS. As the chisel test suggested the pencil and glitter sanded up perfectly. The alcohol test was soft, rubbery, gummy. It was worse than the acrylic paint. Now I didn’t weigh out my epoxy mix or the alcohol, I just eyeballed it so there could have been problems with the mix but based on this I will not be using a alcohol base ink. I may try water based ink in the future, but from the these test it seems that dry colors will work the best. I think I may have to raid my children’s sidewalk chalk box and see what color chalk will do. I’ll take pics and all that if I do. I may do a blog just on coloring epoxy if anyone is interested instead of having it mix in with this project. Would anyone like for me to do that and consider including any test you have done in it?
A last note on the alcohol ink. It is the only thing I have had bleed into the wood so far. This is another reason I will not be trying to use it again.
This final picture is of my next sample. I have white around the eye. I don’t want to use the acrylic paint if I can help it so I am going to try to use white glitter. It looks as if it may remain to clear for what I need. If this is the case I am going to try to paint the carvings with white acrylic paint and then put the glitter epoxy over it. My hope is that the paint will cover the darkness of the wood while allowing the epoxy to adhere to it. I’ll keep you posted on how this part goes.
Now I will decide whether I will use the pencil lead or just glitter. I will let you all know what I decide to use in the next episode.
I want to put this out there, I have a bookcase job coming up and my small shop isn’t big enough for it, but it’s the only shop I have. I will be doing a major cleaning and relay out of equipment very soon, most likely this weekend. I don’t know if this will affect if I work on this project or not. If I don’t get a episode up for a week or so, don’t fear, I will complete this blog. Hopefully the rearranging will make me more productive while making more usable work space.
Thanks to everyone who has joined me on this journey. I shall return soon.
-- JoeyG ~~~ http://www.facebook.com/JHGWoodWorks