When I left you last time I had created a big problem by putting to much paint in my epoxy mix. Now I get to scrape it all out. Since it is still gummy I figured it would just clog up the bit on my dremel so I did it the old fashion way. I a have also included a couple of samples I am working on so I hopefully avoid further problems.
This first picture shows the tools I have assembled for the job. Just a knife and a couple of chisels.
Here is the chisel that did most of the work. I was able to get under the black and just peel it out after I took my chip carving knife and cut a slice in between the colors. I didn’t want to pull anything out that I didn’t want to. I don’t think I really had to worry about it, but at this point better safe than sorry.
I basically took out all the black that I had put in. After that I decided I wanted to try some samples, both for how the color turned out and how the epoxy set up.
I have each sample labeled
Pencil: I took a carpenter’s pencil and shave off the wood with my utility knife and then ran the knife down the lead crating shavings. I then mixed it to the epoxy with green glitter. It seems to have cured to a very hard state already and it has only been a couple of hours since I made the sample.
Alcohol: This is the alcohol ink I showed earlier in the blog. I mixed about 2-3 drops into dime size pools of epoxy. I also added the green glitter. This mix is setting up much slower. I can still indent it when I put a finger nail to it. We will see how it is in the morning.
Glitter: This one is only glitter. I mixed roughly equal amounts of black and green glitter to dime size pools of epoxy (I used about the same amount for each batch) Like the pencil lead, it has already set up and cannot be indented.
Tomorrow I will sand them down, looking for how hard the epoxy is, how many bubbles there are, and what the color looks like.
The next picture I show the blow torch. I had spoke of it in a earlier episode and just wanted to show it here. I keep the flame over the epoxy and never pointed at the epoxy. As it heats up bubbles begin to rise and it begins to flow. I am not convinced that it helps a lot, but even pulling a couple of bubbles to the top saves work later.
Well that’s about it for now. My advice: If you feel like you added to much paint, throw it away. The waste cost will be much less than the hours lost trying to fix it.
Until next episode,
-- JoeyG ~~~ http://www.facebook.com/JHGWoodWorks