LumberJocks

UnNamed #1: extra box, what to do?

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by JoeyG posted 01-07-2012 05:28 AM 4048 reads 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
no previous part Part 1 of UnNamed series Part 2: Messing Around With Idea's »

I am starting this one with just a general idea of what I want to accomplish. A while back I made a batch of these boxes and had a couple of extra’s after orders where finished. I have decided to pull this one out and see what I end up with.

The tiger/ambrosia maple is from the same board that I made the phoenix box out off. The “racing stripes” are made from rosewood. I don’t have any pictures of making this box but That can be a blog for another time. LOL I seem to say that a lot. Anyway, the tape on the corners is for when I cut the miter keys. I know everyone calls them spines, but for some reason I always call them keys. If this is confusing for any one let me know and I will try to mend my ways.

Normally this would be where I cut and install the keys/splines but I have another idea for this one. More on that later but for now I decided it needed legs. I have never put legs on a box so this is another first for me.

I started out by cutting 45’s on the edge of a piece of rosewood creating a 90. I set my table saw at 45 degrees and used a sacrificial board on my rip fence. I set it so it cut right at the corner of the edge.

Next is to taper the legs. The sides of the box are cut at a 7 degree angle so I follow it here.

Here is where things got tricky and maybe a little dangerous. I will go ahead and state here that there are better ways to do this. I made it as safe as I could using the tools I have.

I could have just ripped that taper on them but that would just be to easy. So I again set my table saw to 45 degrees with my sled in place. Then I lined up everything and nail a new “fence to my sled. I plan to build a new improved sled soon, so I am not to worried about the nail holes.

I used scrap to clap down and make the first cut. I then had to reset my “fence” at the opposite angle and then cut the other side. This was really sketchy and took me a few minutes until I was comfortable that the piece was secured and my fingers would remain well away from that blade. I tried to capture how I achieved this. Once everything was locked in place it was really solid and I was comfortable making the cuts.

In the picture above, all of the white boards are nailed together after I clamped em. I decided to leave the clamps. they couldn’t hurt. It took quite a bit of force to get each piece in and out. As I said, not ideal, but the safest with what I have. I will probably make more of these in the future and would very much like to find a better way. Any ideas?

Next are the legs after the cuts are made.

This last pictures have the legs setting beside the box. I am thinking that they will look really good holding the box about 1/2 inch off the table and coming up just higher than the lid. The piece on top is the middle after the legs where cut. I really like the way it seems to spiral but is still has sharp edges and angles. I may try to turn this into some kind of handle.

So there you have it. The exciting first episode of the UnNamed box. I would be grateful for any tips or ideas and hope that you join me to see where this box ends up.

Thanks,
Joey

-- JoeyG ~~~ http://www.facebook.com/JHGWoodWorks



4 comments so far

View lanwater's profile

lanwater

3100 posts in 1682 days


#1 posted 01-07-2012 08:01 AM

Joey this is a great blog.
This box is going to look great.

I think you secured the leg on the sled quite well.

I am also thinking about a new sled; for when I get time.

-- Abbas, Castro Valley, CA

View jaykaypur's profile

jaykaypur

3459 posts in 1156 days


#2 posted 01-07-2012 01:40 PM

This will definitely be a unique project.

-- Use it up, Wear it out --------------- Make it do, Or do without!

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

11507 posts in 1438 days


#3 posted 01-08-2012 03:54 AM

Joey, That sled/clamp/nailed contraption was inspirational! And no blood. You probably should patent that quickly! Seriously, it looked like it functioned perfectly. Almost as innovative as cr1’s chainsaw/tablesaw/garage door opener hybrid!

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View JoeyG's profile

JoeyG

1259 posts in 1373 days


#4 posted 01-08-2012 04:41 AM

Thanks everyone. I was really happy about the no blood part. And the pieces turned out how I wanted them to as a bonus.

-- JoeyG ~~~ http://www.facebook.com/JHGWoodWorks

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase