Here is what I woke up to. You can clearly see where I cooked it a little to much in the red. You can also see where I tried to pop a bubble on the green. Luckily it is over the wood that will become the horn.
I grab my trusty new bosch random orbital sander, which I love, throw on a slightly used piece of 80 grit. It was a piece I used for the sculpted box on my other blog, the edge was ate up but the flat of the disc hadn’t been touched. And I got nowhere. It seems I have about 1/8 of an inch of epoxy, maybe thicker in some places.
I sanded on it for about 5 mins and decided I was moving way to slow. So I went over to my planer and being very careful that I didn’t touch the tape or wood, gave it a couple of passes. I know this probably isn’t good for my blades, but it’s about time to replace them anyway. If you look carefully you can see flakes of epoxy laying on the face.
This left me maybe a 1/16 above the level of the wood. With the 80 grit on my orbital it only takes a few minutes to get it down level with the surrounding wood.
Here you can see it with the overlay on it. I still haven’t figured out how I am going to transfer it. I am about to head back out to the shop after lunch with my daughter and try to figure it out.
Here is the original drawing just as a so you can see them together
One last note:
This is where I would normally mix up more epoxy the same color and I started with and fill in any voids left by air bubbles. I am not doing it now for two reason, one is that there are not that many and second it that I will be routing out some of the epoxy for the rest of the details. Hopefully this won’t come back to bite me. We will find out.
The next episode will hopefully be today or tomorrow. If I decide to get carbon paper it may not be up till Monday, but never fear, it will be up soon.
Any questions or comments or ideas are welcome as always.
-- JoeyG ~~~ http://www.facebook.com/JHGWoodWorks