Took me a while to get the finish sanding complete (didn’t touch it for a month or so), but the last piece was sanded to 150 yesterday. I decided to take the bench back apart, to ensure that every crevice got sanded and finish on it to make sure water didn’t touch any parts that weren’t glued – that definitely contributed to the time delay a bit.
So yesterday/this morning I started applying the General Finishes Outdoor Oil:
I’m hanging the pieces using picture wire from a pipe clamp pipe held up to the rafters by F-clamps. That’s working pretty well right now, and I can put up another one if I need more space to hang things (I have plenty of pipe clamps).
And here’s what’s left:
Hopefully I’ll get the first coat done in a day or so and let it cure for a few days, then get a second and maybe even third coat on over the next couple of weeks. The seat slats are already feeling pretty dry and not tacky to the touch, while the one seat end I did in my garage took overnight to get to that point. It’s pretty humid here, so finishing in my basement may be a better, more controlled environment.
It’s a little hard to see, but the oak has taken on a nice honey color. I’m looking forward to seeing how well it all blends together since the wood was sourced from different trees, as you can see from some of the earlier pictures. It’s all white oak, but some of it had a more red tone while other pieces were more brown/grey (namely the seat back).
-- The difference between being defeated and admitting defeat is what makes all the difference in the world - Upton Sinclair, "The Jungle"