LumberJocks

Porch Glider #11: The Home Stretch

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Jimi_C posted 836 days ago 3593 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 10: Schwing Part 11 of Porch Glider series Part 12: Starting the Finish »

As of writing this, the porch glider is 100% assembled – no more wood to cut, no more screws to screw. Just a lot of detail work and then the outdoor oil goes on.

First up, views of the armrests and the brace that ties them together across the back. I left the piece of wood to the left in order to give me something to brace against when gluing up. I used two wood shims to force the wood up against the shoulder of the other piece, ensuring a perfect 90 degree angle. Once the glue dried, I cut that off and planed it flush (final picture of that a bit further down).

The shoulder and router planes made short work of getting a perfectly flush lap joint:

And the front corners of the armrest got rounded off for a nice pleasing shape:

Here’s the third brace across the back, cut with the same 15 degree angle as the piece that attaches the seat back to the seat frame. This then gets screwed up into the cross brace for the armrests to lock everything together.

A lot of screws…

Here’s the back corner of the armrest, which got this semi-circle cutout after being glued. There’s a little bit of blowout on the back from pattern routing this side, so I need to hand plane it a bit to clean it up. I haven’t really mentioned it before, but I’ve been using the Microplane drum with the follower bearing on my drill press to do the pattern routing, and it has worked out really well – just gotta be careful with the end grain on this oak as it loves to blowout.

A (somewhat blurry) view of the rear corner and the corbels that support the armrests.

A better pic of the front corbel.

And finally, after just 1 and a half short years of work, the finished and fully assembled bench!

The todo list is shrinking, and I hope to have this done in a couple of weeks. Just about every piece (at least on the show surfaces) has received a sanding with 100 grit at this point, so now I just need to start moving up the grits to try and eliminate any spots with obvious tear-out (there are a few spots I’ve found so far).

There’s also a few spots where the lap joints were not top-notch (mainly the very first ones I did on the base before I bought a shoulder plane) that need to be touched up and filled in with a little epoxy and saw dust, and I need to cut the bolts for the swing arms down with a hacksaw, since they’re about 1/2” long. After that, it’s oil time and out the door!

As always, thanks for looking.

-- The difference between being defeated and admitting defeat is what makes all the difference in the world - Upton Sinclair, "The Jungle"



2 comments so far

View gfadvm's profile

gfadvm

10711 posts in 1314 days


#1 posted 835 days ago

That turned out really nice! And I know how much work went into it as I built one (though not as nice as yours). How do you like that Microplane drum? I will have to look into that bearing thingy as I haven’t seen that.

-- " I'll try to be nicer, if you'll try to be smarter" gfadvm

View Jimi_C's profile

Jimi_C

506 posts in 1859 days


#2 posted 835 days ago

@gfadvm: I really like it, I used it on pretty much every curve on this bench. It makes very short work during pattern routing and since it’s a lot lower RPM-wise than a router bit I think it’s a bit safer.

-- The difference between being defeated and admitting defeat is what makes all the difference in the world - Upton Sinclair, "The Jungle"

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase