Sides are attached, and I need a beer (or something stronger)...
Here’s an in-progress shot, where 3 of the 4 corners are screwed. The far one is clamped in this picture, as I was checking to make sure I had it flat and level before attaching the final corner. The seat slats are off to allow a better drilling angle, plus they needed a final sanding anyway which is easier with them off.
Three screws hold the front (even though the plan only called for two). I eyeballed center, so they’re about 1/4” off but this angle makes it look worse than it is:
And here is how close I got the screws in the one rear corner:
Despite getting them that close, the top one STILL hit the screw coming in from the back! I ended up backing the rear screw out and replacing it with a shorter 1.5”. For the other side, I just took the top-rear screw out beforehand and drilled the hole, so they’re not nearly this close. While drilling the last corner, my drill bit snapped off, so I had some fun getting that out as it was buried in the wood. This seriously added to my stress level about screwing this up (no pun intended), which is why I didn’t take any final pictures – I got the last screw in without breaking it off and walked away.
The sides will be detached one more time, since I still need to put screws in the seat ends (the only thing holding them together right now is glue) and to drill the 1/4” holes for the bolts that attach the swing arms.
With the strap ties going on the rear corners, I’m starting to feel good about this bench structurally. It is starting to feel very solid. I’m also going to use some glue when I attach the seat ends for good and done, to make sure those suckers never come off, since my greatest fear is that it will fall apart the first time someone swings in it :/
-- The difference between being defeated and admitting defeat is what makes all the difference in the world - Upton Sinclair, "The Jungle"