Progress on a rainy Sunday. Got all the back slats cut and sanded, including the middle one. I’m not particularly happy about the center piece, as I had to buy a new board for it. The one I thought would work was so cupped I wouldn’t have been able to keep it thick enough at 7” wide. As a result, it is a slightly different color. At the same time, the color difference between the seat slats and the back slats is pretty major two unfortunately – the seat is much more red despite all of the wood being white oak. The center board is closer to the back slats, but you can see it has slight reddish hue too. The rest of the back slats are all creamy brown – no red at all.
I’m debating staining this a bit now, to even out the color differences, but I haven’t decided yet. I need to get some samples with oil on them to see how well they blend then.
Just leaning the seat ends up against it, to get an idea of how things are coming together. These don’t get attached until after the back is attached to the seat frame.
Besides the center slat, I cut all of the back slats out of a single board. I did my best to preserve the grain patterns, which is really evident on this side of the back.
Overall, I’m happy with the results. Next up is attaching the upper brace to the back, then I’ll be able to attach the back to the seat frame.
-- The difference between being defeated and admitting defeat is what makes all the difference in the world - Upton Sinclair, "The Jungle"