Here’s the glue up. First I glued the short sides together (no pics, sorry) with a spacer clamped below the legs near where the shelf would be, just to make sure everything stayed square. After both sides dried for a bit, I took the clamps off, cleaned up the squeeze out, and glued the whole thing together:
After the clamps came off, here’s what it looked like:
Everything is remarkably square – considering all of these pieces were in my car for a week during our house move – some of them had warped a bit (I let them acclimate to the new house with a little weight on them, which removed most of the bow). On the diagonals, I’m only about 1/16” off – again something I’m very happy about considering this is the first time I’ve made something with hand-cut mortise and tenons, along with the notch cuts in the legs for the shelf. Almost all of the joinery on this was hand cut – I did use a stacked dado blade to rough cut the tenons (and a drill press to hog out the mortises).
Now that the base is done, next comes finishing – another first…
-- The difference between being defeated and admitting defeat is what makes all the difference in the world - Upton Sinclair, "The Jungle"