Tonight, I finished tuning up the shoulders of the stretchers, since I noticed that some of them were 1/32” or slightly more out of square on one or more edges… that’s what I get for adjusting the fit of the cheeks with a sanding block. Also, I had to make the stretchers the correct length to match the shelf – the long stretchers were about 1/8” too long. So, I made a couple of paring blocks (also cut for paring dovetails), and cleaned everything up. A test fitting shows my table will be very close to square along the diagonal – I should be able to get it pretty good once I clamp it up.
Once all the paring was done, I took it all apart and started sanding everything with 220. Everything is looking great, though I might hit the lower shelf with another pass or two to make sure it’s ready for gluing. I also went ahead and ordered a quart of Charles Neils wood conditioner – hopefully I can get results as good as his video shows.
I’ve also decided what I’m going to do for the top – my company announced a talent contest, so I thought I’d try and wrap this table up and submit it as my entry. The tie in will be that I’m planning on using wood from pallets I get at work to make the top. We receive large shipments of computers on pallets, so hopefully I’ll be able to find some decent wood that is in good enough shape – I just need to get a metal detector to make sure I don’t run into any nails.
So, no pics tonight (not that much has changed since last time), but I hope to have the base glued up and ready to finish by this weekend. I also hope to start milling wood for the top as soon as possible too, I just need to double check that taking pallets from work is OK :) As always, thanks for reading.
-- The difference between being defeated and admitting defeat is what makes all the difference in the world - Upton Sinclair, "The Jungle"