Painted the last piece today, so here it is in all (or at least most) of it’s assembled glory.
Once again – the before:
And now the after:
As you can tell from the second pic, I haven’t gotten the lower axle/bearings back on it yet – same for the upper wheel. I did try freezing the axle to see if that’d let me press the axle in easily enough – didn’t seem to give it enough – so I’m going to have to find someone with a bearing/arbor press to help me get the wheels back on this sucker. I didn’t try heating up the bearings/casing first, so maybe that’d be enough to help get it in – I may try it some day the wife isn’t home :D
Anyway, I’m really happy with the way it’s coming out – and even more happy to be done masking and spraying tiny little parts. The paint job is far from perfect – paint’s already chipping on the trunion where the washer for the knob to secure the table rubs against it – but I think it’s good enough to protect it for many years to come.
I’m going to order the blade and wheels from Suffolk Machinery sometime this week, so hopefully the next update on this restoration will be the absolute last. It may be down the road a ways though, we’re selling our house and will be moving in a few weeks, so I may not have time to get it all done before I have to start packing up the shop. That’s the downside to this, it sucks that I may have to wait a month to be able to fire this up and start resawing boards :-/
-- The difference between being defeated and admitting defeat is what makes all the difference in the world - Upton Sinclair, "The Jungle"