Here’s the dry-fit, the tape’s on there to keep it from falling apart when I adjust things/check for square. All the stretchers have been resized to match the shelf size:
Here’s a detail of how the leg holds the shelf:
I still need to clean that up a little since there’s a bit of a gap on all 4 legs, which means I may need to trim a little off the stretchers again (maybe just 1/16” or so from each end).
As for the top, I know this is supposed to be a butcher-block table, but I’m seriously considering just making a flat panel for the top instead, since all I have is poplar currently. My other option (since I do have a little maple left) was to make a butcher block top out of alternating pieces of maple/poplar. I figure the top will be removable with buttons, so if I made it out of some combination of poplar I could always remove it in the future and put a more durable top on it if I actually wanted to use it for cutting/etc.
I’m not really beholden to the original design (I’ve already scrapped the middle shelf), since this is all a learning experience for me. This piece is a first for me on many levels: first mortise/tenon joints (mortises hand cut, well at least after I used the drill press), first panel glue up, first time I’ve worked with 8/4 material… the list goes on. First and foremost – this is the first piece of furniture I’ve ever tried to build, so I’m happy as long as I finish it somehow :)
-- The difference between being defeated and admitting defeat is what makes all the difference in the world - Upton Sinclair, "The Jungle"