Butcher Block Kitchen Table #3: More Progress, and a Bandsaw Restoration Update

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Jimi_C posted 05-03-2010 01:52 AM 2410 reads 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Progress on the Legs Part 3 of Butcher Block Kitchen Table series Part 4: Mostly Done Except for the Top »

Haven’t had much time to work in the last few weeks, my wife and I are in the process of selling our house/buying a new one, and we finally got a contract on our house! We also had our contract accepted for the house we want, so we’ve been in the process of getting inspections and tests and all the crap you have to go through. Thankfully, we only had a few minor things to correct in our house (fire detectors in every room, our garage stair case railing had more than a 4” gap in one spot… etc.), so we’re pretty much in the clear.

So, of course today I get to do some woodworking finally :)

After finishing up the mortises on the legs, I finally put my stacked dado blade to use and made the stretchers/tenons. That was a lot of fun, and went very quickly thanks to the dado blade (Oshlun 8” if anyone cares). I didn’t take a pic, but I had all of the tenons fit to the mortises pretty well, just one or two to clean up a little.

However… I’m going to have to redo them because of todays work…

Today I glued up the panel for the bottom shelf, and got a little lazy – the plank I selected for it was just a little bit narrower after glue-up than the stretchers I made (for the overall depth of the table). So, I’m just going to trim 1/2” – 1” off the short stretchers.

Here’s a pic of the legs dry-fit with the lower shelf:

The shelf is made up of three boards glued together, which came out pretty well (considering this is only the second time I’ve tried this). I still have a little cleanup of the glue lines and some more scraping/sanding, but it’s pretty close to being done. I just need to scrape the rest of the board, because I can feel the tiniest divet where I over-scraped the glue lines.

Bandsaw Restoration

Also, I finally got to paint another piece of the bandsaw today – the main body:

I’m getting close to finishing up with the painting, just have the removable upper/lower wheel covers to do, along with the edge of the table and a few more small parts that I’m being lazy about sanding/taping off.

The suggestions from the last update were all great, and I’ve overcome the issues I was having (definitely waiting too long before top-coating). Since I’ve adjusted my technique, I’ve had zero problems:

After curing, the bubbling on the flywheel pretty much went down, so I’m just going to leave it as is – it’s a bandsaw not a pro auto body job :)

-- The difference between being defeated and admitting defeat is what makes all the difference in the world - Upton Sinclair, "The Jungle"

2 comments so far

View David's profile


110 posts in 2771 days

#1 posted 05-03-2010 08:37 PM

How do you plan on attaching the bottom shelf to the legs? Will you use a dowl or is there a support underneath the shelf?


-- dcutter

View Jimi_C's profile


507 posts in 2659 days

#2 posted 05-03-2010 08:57 PM

The legs have a 45 degree notch cut into them, and the shelf has a matching cut on each corner – so the shelf just sits in the notch and will be glued that way. I haven’t decided, but I may do an edge banding around the shelf to hide the end-grain portion and to make it look a little nicer. If anyone gets Woodsmith magazine, they did a veneered table with a similar configuration an issue or two ago.

To create the notch, I created a simple jig by setting my table saw blade to 45 and cut a bevel on each side of a piece of poplar, so the shape was something like this: \__/ I then ripped that in half and oriented the beveled edges so it created a 90 degree cradle. I glued/nailed these to piece of 1/4” plywood and used that on my sled to cut the notches in leg. I used a stop for the leg to ensure that the top of the notch was consistent on all 4 legs, and then used a caliper to mark 3/4” down from that to ensure the notch was perfectly sized for the shelf.

I can take some pictures of the setup if anyone’s interested. The jig wasn’t perfect, but it was good enough :)

-- The difference between being defeated and admitting defeat is what makes all the difference in the world - Upton Sinclair, "The Jungle"

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics