Bandsaw Restoration #3: Quick Update

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by Jimi_C posted 04-16-2010 03:09 PM 1708 reads 0 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 2: Progress, at last Part 3 of Bandsaw Restoration series Part 4: Another Short Update, and Why I Hate Spray Paint »

Progress is continuing on the restoration, I’m grabbing an hour here or there to work on it.

The bottom axle was pretty easy to remove after all – a block of wood and a rubber mallet got it out ok. The only stubborn part was the woodruff key on the end of the axle that (of course) had to be removed for the axle to come out. I had to mangle it a little to get it out, but I think it will be ok. If not, I’ll just order a new one from McMaster-Carr.

That one damn bearing will STILL not come off the top axle. I’ve tried everything short of the bearing splitter, so it looks like I may have to splurge on one to get that sucker off. I did call AutoZone, as suggested, but the guy at the local place said he didn’t have a bearing splitter, and probably wouldn’t have much more luck than me with his gear pullers.

The replacement bearings have started arriving. I’m exceptionally glad that I decided to replace them – all of the existing ones are in horrible shape and rotate in a very chunky way. I found it odd that the top bearings are imperial (5/8”x1 3/8”x7/16”) but the bottom and thrust bearings are metric (6202, 6204). I ordered the top bearings off ebay, and they should be here today, so that will be all 6 I need. Once I’m done painting, I’ll start reassembling.

Speaking of paint, I’m going with Rustoleum pro over Rustoleum bare metal primer. I’ve only painted 4 pieces so far, and only primed one of them, but I think I’ll be priming from here on out. I threw all of the small pieces in the dish washer to clean them (thought it’d be easier than hand washing everything to get all the grime/WD40 off), and the paint started flaking on some pieces due to the high heat. So I’ll probably be taking the electric sander to all the rest and priming them before doing the final coat. The color is hunter green, which is quite a bit brighter than the PowerKing drab green, but I think it looks good – the wife even commented that the painted parts look brand new.

So that’s all for now, hopefully I’ll have some pictures with the next update.

-- The difference between being defeated and admitting defeat is what makes all the difference in the world - Upton Sinclair, "The Jungle"

4 comments so far

View MedicKen's profile


1610 posts in 2886 days

#1 posted 04-17-2010 12:52 AM

In the future if you ever need bearings contact Lynne Scott at Accurate bearing.

-- My job is to give my kids things to discuss with their

View Will_Wood's profile


28 posts in 1760 days

#2 posted 01-27-2013 05:33 PM

Jimi_C -

I know it’s been awhile since you posted this, but I’m hoping you can help me out. I’m performing rehab to an ol’ Power King 912 in a very similar manner as you did.

I’m facing the same situation in trying to get the bottom shaft and bearings out of the casting for replacement. You mentioned a block of wood and a mallet did the trick. Can you confirm you knocked out the assembly in the direction of the pulley side?

Thanks for posting your process and for saving a piece of good ol’ American iron.


View Jimi_C's profile


507 posts in 2659 days

#3 posted 01-27-2013 06:06 PM

Will_Wood: Cool, glad to see there are still more of these out there.

Yes, I tapped the axle out from the wheel side, pushing it out towards the pulley side. It’s been a while, but if I remember right the axle is shaped with a step (you can see it on the last page of the manual: Because of that, the bearings can not slide past a certain point, so you have to remove it from the pulley side.

Good luck!

-- The difference between being defeated and admitting defeat is what makes all the difference in the world - Upton Sinclair, "The Jungle"

View Will_Wood's profile


28 posts in 1760 days

#4 posted 01-27-2013 07:47 PM

Jimi_C -

Thanks for the confirmation. That enabled me to ramp up the force on the hammer, and it came out w/o problem. I’ll try to post my process once I’ve completed the rehab. I’m also tearing into the old Craftsman 1/2 hp motor (looks like it could be original) and the Atlas stand. I hope to have a fully cleaned up unit in another month or so.


Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics