Finally made it out to HF yesterday while the wife was taking a nap (unrelated reason, I swear!), and grabbed the 2HP DC. Here’s the box in my garage, and a glimpse at the inside of the packaging:
The large rectangular base was actually sitting on top of that, with Styrofoam in between. Overall, I was pretty happy with the packaging. Nothing was dinged, or otherwise beat up or even scratched as far as I could tell.
I pulled everything out, and started reading the instructions – the obvious weak point of cheaper tools. I think these instructions may have been written for the older version, and not updated, because there were some obvious differences. One such difference – that the bolts that hold the motor to the motor mount are longer – are nowhere in the instructions. Also, the instructions tell you to attach the handle after both dust bags are attached – which is quite impossible to do.
After a bit of part sorting, I was able to figure out which bolts went where and went at it. Here’s the finished result:
Not a bad looking unit, if I do say so. Unfortunately… I can’t use it. I noted in my head that this unit’s motor requires 20A, and did not do my homework on my home lines. Apparently everything in my garage is 15A, so I’m going to have to have new lines run. Luckily, my father-in-law was an electrician in the Navy, so I’ve asked him to come out and see what we can do.
Now, to start researching DIY cyclones… top of the list is the Thien.
-- The difference between being defeated and admitting defeat is what makes all the difference in the world - Upton Sinclair, "The Jungle"