Good progress today, wish I’d gotten things done a bit quicker but oh well. Got the other cabinet assembled, and started working on the doors – well at least one door. Like I said earlier I only have enough wood milled to do the one, so I got started with that. I ran the boards through my (makeshift) router table, creating a 3/4” deep groove the full length, and then cut the rails and stiles to length. I made a jig to route the tenons for the rails a few weeks ago, and I put it into use today – worked like a charm. I’ll probably write another blog entry about it sometime, but it’s essentially just a few pieces of MDF laminated together with a space between for the rail to sit, and another piece of MDF perpendicular on top of it all that acts as a stop for the router base. You just mark out your tenon, line it up and route. Once you get the depth adjusted just right, you can zip out tenons as fast as you can mark the line and position it.
Here’s the results:
I’d like to get one door done (if not glued and finalized) just to make sure my plan’s are good. I’d also like to peg the tenon, I’m just not sure if it’s long enough at 3/4”. I did read about one method using bamboo BBQ skewers to pin smaller tenons, so I may look into that for these. I also need to pickup a round over bit for the doors at some point.
-- The difference between being defeated and admitting defeat is what makes all the difference in the world - Upton Sinclair, "The Jungle"