We’ll its finally finished. I’ve been busy since my last entry, but I kept pecking away at it.
I had some issue with the finishing. I had the top all done, and decided to add one more coat. I had wet sanded it down with 400, and wiped on the final coat. The coat did not cover like when I was brushing it on, so I let it dry for 6 hour and brushed on what I thought would be the final coat. When I came back, the finish had bubbled in several spots. So, back to sanding. I’m glad to report the final coats went much better.
Once the finish had set for a week or so, I started rubbing it out with Behlen’s Deluxing Compound at EarlS’s suggestion. This worked pretty well, and I’m happy with the results. The base was a real pain with all the nooks and crannies. For the top I got out my car RO buffer and it went pretty fast.
Next up was to route recesses for the figure 8 fasteners I used for the top. I just free handed these, with 4 per side.
The final bit of construction, also the scariest, was to cut a 2” hole in the finished top for a cable guide. I taped off the top, measured twice and started with a hole saw. No issues, and I have a plastic trim piece from Woodcraft to finish it off.
Last night I moved the old desk out of my office, steam cleaned the carpet, and today started moving my new desk in. I’m actually type this blog on my new desk.
All in all, I am very pleased with how it came out. There are a few mistakes here and there, but looking at in my office, I’m the only one who will know they are there. I think I learned a few new things, honed a few older skills, and gain some confidence to try similar size projects.
Thanks for following along,
-- -Jim, "Society is well governed when its people obey the magistrates, and the magistrates obey the law." -- Solon