The second part of the leg glue up is pretty complicated. Luckily, my Father In-Law was in town for the holidays and he gave me a hand getting all the parts in place.
For the through tenons, I used a small amount of glue on the faces of the tenons to minimize squeeze out. Once the legs and “window frame” pieces were all clamped up, I taped off around the mortises. I then forced glue into the top and bottom of the mortise before driving the walnut wedges in place. Removing the tape left a clean joint.
After letting the glue set up, I trimmed the wedges and sanded them flush with the tenons.
The finished leg assemblies look pretty nice.
Tonight, I was able to finish up the central arches. They have wedged, through tenons, and a gentle arch to the bottom. After roughing the arch with the bandsaw, I used a hardboard template and pattern bit in my router.
It’s starting to look like a desk!
Next up is the front apron and drawer supports.
Thanks for following along,
-- -Jim, "Society is well governed when its people obey the magistrates, and the magistrates obey the law." -- Solon