Continuing on with my desk project…
I milled all of the lumber roughly to size. I left everything a little oversized in case any internal stress warped the boards. Also, my planer blades were shot and leaving raised lines. For now I’m sticking with the HSS blades and got two sets on Amazon for a decent price. The new blades cut like butter. After a few days, I dimensioned all the parts for the legs and all the end pieces.
Next, I marked all of the mortise locations. I used blue painters tape, my marking gauge, and a hobby knife to score all of the 40 mortises. Next I used my router and a jig I have to rough them out. The smaller mortises I used my drill press and a forstner bit. I’ve been attacking them a few each night, making sure to knock off before I start getting sloppy.
On one of the legs, I cut a 1/4” slice off and routed a 3/4” channel and glue the leg back together. This will be for a power cord. The glue joint came out pretty good, and I don’t think you’ll notice it on the finished desk.
Well, off to knock out a few more holes.
-- -Jim, "Society is well governed when its people obey the magistrates, and the magistrates obey the law." -- Solon