We’ll the file cabinet is finally finished. I applied 3 coats of Arm R Seal satin with a new T-shirt. This is the first time I’ve worked with this product, and I really like it. It is much thinner than Minwax, and goes on very easy and was pretty forgiving. I let it dry at least 6 hours between coats, and scuffed it with 0000 steel wool after the second coat. The final coat went on silky smooth with no real dust specs that I can find. I like the satin finish, and will use it in the future. With three coats there is a nice sheen and you can still see some of the wood grain and pores. Before finishing, I ran my shop dust collector and blew the dust off of everything with my shop vac hooked up as a blower. I let the dust collector run for a while afterwards and wiped down the pieces before starting.
I bought the wood for this project from two different places, and the color and figuring is different. I’m hoping the cherry will age with time and even up a bit (maybe set it out in the sun when winter breaks). If not, I kind of like a little variation in the tones.
Anyhow, I learned a few new skills, Honed some old skills, learned more about working with cherry, and had a fun doing it.
Thanks for reading along, and for the help and comments along the way. I hope to be posting a new project in the future.
My files and printer have a new home.
-- -Jim, "Society is well governed when its people obey the magistrates, and the magistrates obey the law." -- Solon