It’s been a while since my last woodworking project, so I’m easing back into the groove with a new file cabinet. I have a piece of junk tin cabinet in my home office that squeaks every time I open and close it. I did some serving trays in Cherry, and really liked working with it, so my new file cabinet will be Cherry.
I found a photo online and liked the style so I sketched it up in Sketchup and AutoCAD. The legs are 1 3/4” x 1 3/4” and the rest of the frame is 1” thick. There is a nice arch detail on the bottom stretchers. The Drawer boxes will be plywood, and the side and back panels will be plywood as well veneered with quarter sawn Cherry.
I picked up some rough stock from two different sources. One is definitely darker than the other. I’m hoping that one is just aged a bit more than the other and maybe some time sitting in the sun will even them out. I have all of the frame pieces milled and used my router to do the majority of the work for mortising, finishing up with my chisels. For the tenons, the shoulder cuts were done on the table saw with a sled, and then the rest of the material was removed with a router and a home made jig. I have a table saw tenon jig, but with a thin kerf blade it is difficult to get a straight cut.
The top front and read stretchers have a dovetail joint. This was my first attempt at this and they are less than stellar. I think they will do ok, and I learned a few things along the way.
All in all I’m happy with the joinery, and everything should clamp up tight.
The top is just under 1” thick and is glued up from 4 pieces.
Next on the list is to cut the arches on the bottom stringers and cut the notches for the drawer supports. I’ve ordered the veneer from OVIS and it should be here before Christmas. I borrowed my friend’s vacuum pump and will bond the veneer with epoxy.
-- -Jim, "Society is well governed when its people obey the magistrates, and the magistrates obey the law." -- Solon