1972 Craftsman project, Opinions Welcome #8: More fence fabrication

  • Advertise with us
Blog entry by JimDaddyO posted 04-24-2010 09:24 PM 3047 reads 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
« Part 7: UH OH Part 8 of 1972 Craftsman project, Opinions Welcome series Part 9: Success! A functioning Table Saw »

I got a toggle clamp from our freinds at Lee Valley. It has a 700 lb. rating. I had to attach it to the fence. It was bigger than I had thought so a small piece from the ash pile, copy the holes from the original piece of aluminum and counter sink them really far so the bolts will reach.

Get the hole spacing for the clamp, drill and counter bore for some T nuts on the back.

A test fit onto the fence itself.

OK, I need a longer bolt to put the pressure on the square tube, but with the rubber end in you can see that it is goeing to work nicely.

I am sure that it will have to be rebuilt, the ash has a tendency to split, I will likely replace it with plywood or, if a piece of aluminum comes my way….... To say I was happy with it would be an understatement. The plans have been in my head for so long, it’s great to see it coming together. Not only that, once the pressure bolt is replaced with a longer one, the saw can be set up and be functional. WOO HOO!

-- my blog: my You Tube channel:

6 comments so far

View bigike's profile


4050 posts in 3254 days

#1 posted 04-24-2010 09:51 PM


-- Ike, Big Daddies Woodshop,

View Ger21's profile


1074 posts in 3096 days

#2 posted 04-24-2010 10:43 PM

You can get small pieces of aluminum plate on Ebay for very cheap. Nice job.

Is it difficult to clamp with that short lever?

-- Gerry,

View woody57's profile


650 posts in 3392 days

#3 posted 04-25-2010 12:04 AM

very nice job

-- Emmett, from Georgia

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

4170 posts in 3130 days

#4 posted 04-25-2010 12:36 AM

This definitely looks like something I would do…...(-:

For instance, the switch on my Delta Contractor’s Saw, Switch

I think you are correct, plywood would probably hold up longer. If the ash splits, glue up the requisite thickness, that’s something I do a lot. That ash looks about 1” thick or so.

Anyway, interesting project, glad your switch deal was a simple fix.

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

View JimDaddyO's profile


543 posts in 3044 days

#5 posted 04-26-2010 02:10 AM

I have to gt a longer bolt for it because the stock one is too short to clamp. If you look in the last pic you can see I stuffed a rubber end in there just to see. Even with this, I am suprised how stabil the fence is. The toggle clamp does not have to be screaming tight to work to it’s full effect. One thing I have learned in my working career is that those people who crank things down until it almost fails, are not doing a good job. I think I will get the saw tuned up tomorrow and make a new piece from some plywood. Time to get the dial indicator out!!!!

-- my blog: my You Tube channel:

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

4170 posts in 3130 days

#6 posted 04-26-2010 03:40 AM

Ah yes, I see it well. Longer bolt, cut to size, with a rubber buffer, might be the way to go. I agree with you about cranking things down to far. If you use plywood, pick your thickness, and cut the bolt to fit. I think the rubber thing might do well, especially if it were a little thinner, and not allow much lateral movement. Broad, but thin contact. Maximum friction, minimum give.

This type of stuff is fun…............(-:

......have a good one…...

Alaska Jim

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics