Let me start out by saying, that this saw belonged to my Dad, who is now 85, in reletively good health (thankfully), and still driving. The saw is sentimental, and still serves me well.
I have asked on some forums about this project, there is a bow in the top and I want to flatten it. I may also be adding a home made T square fence, seeing as I have most of the parts. I will try to tell the story in pictures, as it may help in understanding.
First of all, this is going out to my “shop”, and it leaks, so I am not about to go spend $1000 on new one to put it in here. It gets it’s power from running an extension cord out there, after hauling the tools onto the lawn, which isn’t going to happen any time soon.
A few inside pics with some of my tools:
My makita thickness planer is under the upside down sink (another project, but it keeps it dry for now):
The saw, my 4” Rockwell jointer, Router table on the cabinet, some clamps, yard tools, BBQ, it’s a muti function storage area.
Looking the other way, you can see the saw and jointer, my mitre saw on it’s stand, my little compressor. The screen door for the patio doors is on it’s side behind for the winter.
My work bench, vacs, storage for all kids of stuff I like to keep handy, like the 18 ga. nail gun that is in the basket on top.
Finally, the last corner that is taken up by shelves full of air conditioners, my sanders, camping equipment, etc.
So, here is the top of the saw, I think the extensions are cast aluminum, I have to figure out how to make better throat plate inserts for it too, I tried one out of lexan once but it shattered as I was putting the kerf cut in it. The top of the saw itself is cast iron (cast steel?, it rusts)
The throat plate removed, ever seen them like this anyone?
Inside, you can see that the blade attaches directly to the motor shaft.
Torn down, you can see it is more or less a portable saw that has been expanded on
The underside, showing the mechanicals of the beast.
The top is off, you can see the tabs with 2 holes each that mount the motor to the top. I believe that it is 30 years of the motor hanging there that has caused the top to bow, and the reason for this project.
The bottom of the top.
Again, only closer and cleaner.
A view of the warp in the top. I just used the edge of a piece of angle to show it. The angle is part of the fence that came with the saw
A closer view of the warp in the top
And of course, the ever present helper and foreman, Aggie the gulunga mutt!
So, what do you think about flattening this thing and getting it more functional. I am open to comments and suggestions. My first thought was to clamp angle iron to it with shims to the bottom, but the shape makes that a bit hard. Maybe trying to do that on the front and back edges would work. OR, is it that close I should see about getting it ground. That may be overkill as I am willing to settle for “better” instead of “perfect”. Of course, if perfect can be easily and cheaply gotten, it will be.
Thanks to all of you for your help and suggestions.
-- I still have all my fingers