As a new member here, I figured that I should share the project I am working on. I am by no means a luthier, or a highly skilled woodworker (yet). This is something that I have wanted to do for a long time.
It started by felling an ash tree a few years ago and getting it milled into boards. Here I am in my large workshop planing the boards to thickness. Note the fancy chip/dust collector.
Did my first bookmatch ever!
Made a core from maple.
glueing the back to the core.
And got this
Added a hole to access the electronics and cut out a cover for it
Since this is a long project I wanted to protect the wood, so I popped the grain and dyed it and did enough french polishing to fill the grain.
The neck was bought, I dyed it also and finished it with Tru-Oil, the headstock face is french polished.
I made up my own logo on the computer and printed it onto water transfer decal paper. I applied it to the headstock and buried it with french polishing.
I made a template and after many trial cuts, put in the neck pocket an installed the neck, in this photo there is no glue or screws holding the pieces together, just friction.
I am experimenting with some home made pickup surrounds, I am not sure of them yet.
Drilled through the body and installed the string ferrules
Installed the bridge.
This is what it looks like today. I got it playable, but still have a bunch of tweaking to do and routing for the pickups, installing the electronics.
Hope you enjoyed it, I have been working on it since April and it is now December. A long project, but I have done it as I could afford things.
-- I still have all my fingers